Saturday, July 9, 2011

Who Can Haul a Chair?

Option #1:
I called 1-877-GOGO JUNK.  Their minimum charge is $95 for any 1 item you want removed.  The young man explained that he charges by the amount of space that an item takes up in their trucks.  But without asking me what the dimensions of my chair were, he quoted me a flat and minimum fee of $95.  I told him it was too much and I thanked him for the quote.  


I did check at Craigslist, though I did not call anyone of the vendors.  One guy was offering to take pick-ups for a $35 flat fee.  


Option #2:  
Maybe Athens (1-888-336-6100) is a better and less expensive way to go.  Well, I called Athens on Thursday, July 14 @ 9:07am.  The receptionist explained that, yes, they can take the chair but will charge me $25.  And for any additional items I will be charged $15 each.  There's got to be a better way.  Well, Athens garbage company took my orange chair away.  I placed it out in front at around 6:20am, and by 12 or 1 the chair got picked up.  Grateful for that.  Now I have a little more space in my place.  


Option #3:  
Goodwill.  Actually, for hauling services they use College Hunks Hauling:  1-888-461-5241.  They also charge according to volume with the minimum volume the size of a standard love seat.  For that they charge $99.  That's too much.  I said thank you for the quote and said that I would call back if I were interested. 

It's May 18, 2012.  Now I need to get rid of an old California king-sized bed.  I called the City of Alhambra.  They gave me the number to Allied Waste Services @ 888-742-5234; they are in Gardena.  Here are the options I was given for this.  Because the apartment has a bin, Allied Waste charges $25 for the first item and $15 for each additional item. With the 3-part California King bed, Athens will charge me a total of $55.  If I schedule it today, Friday, Athens will come out on Tuesday to pick it up.  I spoke with Christine @ 1-888- 742-5234 who said that I may want to call this other number:  888-253-2652.  I did.  It's for the City of LA Department of Public Works. 

But there's a problem: I don't live in Alhambra; I live in San Gabriel.  Athens Waste Management. takes care of San Gabriel.  Their number is 888-336-6100.  
 


No comments:

Post a Comment