Tuesday, June 12, 2012

My Gripe With SONY's Customer Service and Their VAIO Laptop

 
My gripe with SONY.  I bought a VAIO in January of 2011.  In under two weeks, I began having problems with the touchpad.  A friend of mine cautioned me to use a remote mouse or a USB connected mouse.  I've tried both.  When I am at a table or desk, yes, the mouse is preferable.  But I type on a chair next to my desk regularly.  So I prefer to use the touchpad; plus, I figure if I paid for it, it should work, no?  I paid nearly $700 with no additional retailer warranty on the parts.  And I am paying for it now.

[Service Representative's Name] known throughout this letter as "Paul",

Hi. Since your Glendale store replaced the touchpad on my computer of August last year in an effort to resolve the erratic cursor, the problem has persisted unabated.  To your credit, you spent time with my computer, testing it in front of me, offering options that may have addressed the problem but ultimately did not and could not.  And you sought a solution to every request that I put to you, though not to any customer satisfaction.  The only satisfaction that I can get is to never purchase a SONY product again.  Paul, that's not a caustic statement to you, just an expression of disappointment for which only I can remedy with future tech purchases.  After seeking help through SONY online and through your store, with each representative from SONY pointing (oh, what irony!) at the user's erroneous placement of his palm.  You told me in the store when I met with you that the reason for the erratic behavior of the mouse is because "I inadvertently placed my palm on the touchpad."  I know how to use a computer.  I know what I do when I use a computer.  I know where my hands are.  I know what I am touching and what I am not touching while using the computer, Paul.  My palms were not touching the touchpad.  Be sure to see your earlier reply below in blue.  You said "I usually find that the reason why a cursor will jump around is that when you are typing on the onboard keyboard, the palms may inadvertently tap the touchpad moving the cursor where the mouse has been placed."  To each person whom I've reported the problem, they've proffered the same explanation, and get this, without ever seeing me use the keyboard.  What that tells me, Sonny, is one that you've been trained by SONY to offer that as a plausible explanation to deny any knowing culpability that SONY has produced, distributed, and sold faulty goods to a mass market.   a But like any desperate company seeking to maximize profits over quality and service, SONY distributed a faulty product, one in which pressure anywhere on the panel where the touchpad is will activate the cursor and cause it to behave erratically and out of control.  I don't know who is to blame--technicians, designers?  Both?  Managers?  Maybe.  But I am not alone in this complaint

--- On Tue, 8/16/11, Services.Americana <Services.Americana@am.sony.com> wrote:

From: Services.Americana <Services.Americana@am.sony.com>
Subject: RE: Your Sony Repair: InComplete
To: "'Michael Walgenbach'" <m......44@yahoo.com>
Date: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 2:54 PM

Hello Mike,
 
I am sorry to hear about the difficult time that you had experienced.
 
A repeat repair is a repair that we can set up in our store for another repair on the same issue on the computer. Before we proceed with this option, have you been able to decreased the mouse/touchpad sensitivity through the Control Panel? I usually find that the reason why a cursor will jump around is that when you are typing on the onboard keyboard, the palms may inadvertently tap the touchpad moving the cursor where the mouse has been placed.  Please try lowering touchpad sensitivity and see if this may help resolve this issue.
 
Regards,
 
"Paul"
Sony Premium Services Consultant

No comments:

Post a Comment