Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kalbi Burger @ Wilshire & Wilton

Well, I did it.  I drove all the way  into Los Angeles at Wilton and Wilshire to experience the great Kalbi Burger.  It was okay.  Better than average, yes, but not by much.  By average I mean that it had more flavor than a 3pm chili-cheeseburger at a grease grill recessed off the road in San Pedro, where the chili has been heating since 10am.  Kalbi's is not a grease grill per se.  The grill is camouflaged by plants, mirrors, stools, and a countertop that over looks the grill.  You want to get close to the frier?  Eat at the grill.  On space, the place makes a good ergonomic effort to accommodate as many people as they can.  I was there at 1:15 on a Wednesday, and there were 2 people at the counter, 2 guys eating at one of the narrow tables, me eating at a circular table bar of 20" in diameter, and one woman waiting for her to-go order.


What Was Good?
The dressing was pretty good.  The toppings were fresh; chilled, at least.

Service?
Service was pretty good.  The young many who took my order was congenial and eager to answer my questions about the burger.  So I appreciated the attentiveness.

First Impressions?
Was that I was eating an Asian burger.  I was looking for flavor in the meat.  There was none.  In his video interview posted at his site, the owner states that he loved the chuck from McDonald's when was a kid, but the chuck is tasteless.  Nor do I taste the short-rib; the combination or blend of the two did nothing to enhance flavor.  So no flavor.  Now the burger meat at Counters in fantastic.  That by far is a better burger.

Price?
The clerks encourage you to get the combo; in fact, they tell you that it is cheaper to get the combo.  Not so.  Plus, if you do get the combo, you're getting items that you really don't want or need.

Overall Estimate?
2.5  Disappointing.  The sauces and the styles are not that unique to make me want to eat there again.  That is the true measure of a good burger by asking myself, "Would I come back?"  To Kalbi, the answer is an unambiguous no.

No comments:

Post a Comment